Tuesday 18 February 2014

Dear Caribbean Studies Journal...

So this Carib thing though... Apparently I'm supposed to write about what we learned (or in some cases, didn't) in class.

We're currently doing geographical phenomena. You know, stuff like tsunamis, volcanoes, hurricanes...stuff I did in 3rd form Geo. (Bear in mind I failed it, and it almost kept me off the honor roll that year. Almost. DAMN you Geography!

Anyway, it's come back to bite me in the behind in 6th form. So I'll actually have to haul ass and get a good grade because, you know, SWAG. (That's one of quite a few inside jokes.)

But what have I not learned in Carib class?
I remember reading in the Caribbean Studies Syllabus Rationale that the subject is supposed to make me an "ideal Caribbean person". Ideal my bloodcl foot. The Ideal Caribbean Person actually wants to remain on his own little "island paradise". Again, island paradise my bombo foot. How mi waah fly out guh mek life! An a nuh me one feel suh.

In a way I think I am sort of learning that though... Learning to finally accept the fact that I am, and shall forever be, the youngest person in the whole 6th form. I'm a 16-yr-old in a world of 18- and 19-year-olds (and in Sebastian's case, 20). But with that acceptance comes the fact that I'll have to accept the monikers "Post-Jailbait", "Ex-JB" and "The Girl Formerly Known as 'Jailbait'". One more genius inside joke.

I'm also learning that learning isn't just what happens in class, because, were that the case, I could argue the fact that I don't learn in Carib class..
The discussions that take place in class-- permitted or not, most times not-- give me the opportunity to analyze people and their thoughts based on what they say. Excuse the psychiatrist behavior, that's my ambition talking. 

But I do, in fact, learn a lot.
Too much, in fact, which is why I'm going to shut my inner voice(s) up and stop writing...
See you next time Ms Lewis asks for another journal entry.

Learning to accept what I can't change,
@Jaye_Eccentriq

This was done as a Caribbean Studies assignment but I didn't hand it in, for obvious reasons. 

But it was written genuinely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment