Monday 24 February 2014

On Friends and Closeness (particularly with a certain yute)

Just this morning, my Biology teacher asked me a question: "What is the relationship between you and [insert name of a certain yute]?"My response: "We're just friends." Her response: "How close of friends are you?" We're just really close. The thing is,I don't think she was fully convinced. And it reminded me of certain other encounters with friends:
"Yow you and [such yute] deh?"
"You and [such yute] together or sumn? Why y'all so close?"
And that one teacher who told my mother that he and I are "inseparable". I think around 12 people have asked me that one question in a multitude of ways.

For the record folks, he and I are friends. Damn good friends. Nothing more, nothing less.

What irks me isn't necessarily the asking. It's more the fact that people assume they have to ask. Why can't a male and female be just friends? I mean, come on. Yes, they see us together for at least one hour out of every school day. But they see me around other guys more often. What's the big deal?

What I am here to do, however, is wax poetic on friends and closeness, hence the title of this post. And that is what I shall do, God damn it!

Friends. Amigos. Amis. Amicitia. Filoi. Hard to find, difficult to keep, impossible to forget.
 [insert other cliches] 
Can I get an "Amen" because I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here. 

Some of them aren't what they say they are. They raise your expectations, and then they crush them.
Others are better than any you could ever dream up.

There are those who openly have your back. Someone fucks with you, they lose their shit. They get into this "berserker rage" (yes, I saw this term in a novel I was reading last night...) on your behalf. It's strangely heartwarming to see someone in a rage because of you.
And then there are the silent ones who not only have your back. (I was going to say they have your front but, being Jamaican and knowing the connotations of the word "front", I won't.) I don't have to say anything more on those friends, do I?

Closeness. That feeling of literal and figurative warmth you get when you're around those special people. That mutual understanding that passes between you in silence.

Silence. I judge my friendship based on how silent we are. Bringing me back to the said yute. One night we had the following conversation:

He: Come on, you're a quiet person. You don't hide it very well. :)
Me: Lol why you say that now?
He: Think about it. Sometimes when we're together we don't talk. You're content to lean your head on my shoulder in silence.
Me: Lol talking gets old after a while...
He: Lol true. But you don't mind the silence. To some people the silence is hell.

There is nothing more to be said. That's the reason I hang out with him every single day.
There's nothing more to ask for.


As said yute rests his chin on my head,
@Jaye_Eccentriq

No comments:

Post a Comment